Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Weekend 2011

We ventured down to Virginia Beach for a long Father's Day weekend. (I know, I know, I should get wife of the year award or something, right?) !) What I'm finding this morning is that I should have been clicking pictures left and right, but instead I was making sure my children weren't drowning! So, I have a few quick pics to share!

Darby had a front row seat our little bike thing! Naomi stopped for a shot in front of the sand dune, and Tate (the future lifeguard) climbed up the stand. Shh! Don't tell!


On our way down, Dallas and I were talking about our week and we started talking about conversations we'd had with our friends (who just graduated from High School). Dallas goes, "HEY! We should call them and invite them to come down!" "You know, that was JUST what I was thinking!" Only we don't have a cell (I know, how prehistoric, and the fact that we are constantly saying, "We would if we had a cell" goes to show that we should maybe think about breaking down and getting one one of these days) I have to say, though, that this story would be pretty boring if we'd been able to just call them up...Anyhow! So, we're approaching D.C. at this point, so I said, "Why don't we stop by Tyson's Corner and you can run into the APPLE store and contact them?!" HAHA! "Great idea, Kell!"
So, we took about a 40 minute detour, Dallas ran in and Facebooked them on an iPhone.

The message went something like this:

Chris and Kira! Come to Virginia Beach tomorrow! I'm at an apple store right now!
We are staying at the ____ _____ ___!

When we arrived at Va Beach, I had a message in our room from Chris. They were coming! So, I called him back with a calling card (yep!) I had left over from Young Life Camp last summer. He said Kira thought it was spam! HAHA! No, we're legit...just bad planners, Kira! We had a great time with them, and we're so glad they came! God Bless Apple! !)

Saturday, we were able to have my oldest friend in the entire world (and that says a lot since I moved every 3 years of my life) and his family over for a cookout and then we all headed to the beach for more near-drowning fun! Believe it or not, I didn't take a single picture with my "world's oldest friend"! I'm bummed about that, but I wasn't ready to risk my DSLR camera for the pic by taking it to the beach. After that, we played JUNGLE GOLF where Tate and Chris tied for second. I'm pretty sure I played the best game of my life, but still managed to come in fourth or fifth place.

Sunday, I took Darby out for coffee at 6:20 (since she was up and I thought it would have just been WRONG to wake Daddy up that early in the morning on Father's Day!), and then she and I found this "secret beach." I say that because at 7am, no one else was there-go figure! It was so gorgeous, we went back there with Daddy and the other kids after Chris and Kira left, at which point we saw dolphins swimming along the shoreline (which is one of my favorite things)! Then, we rented those "You-can-fit-six-to-eight-people-on-this-bike-looking-thing-if-you-want-to-peddle-your-way-into-a-heart-attack" things and quickly remembered that we said we'd never do that again! (The things we do to make sure our kids have a good time, right?!)



After lunch, we swung over to my "world's oldest friend," Eric's, house to play with his kids and see all the work he'd done on his house so far! Our kids had a lot of fun, and it was just FUN to be with him and his family! We're hoping to see them all again soon (Where I promise I'll take a pic with my old friend)!

So, it's back to the swing of things for us! And, my desire to live at/on/near the beach was (AGAIN) affirmed!

No comments: